Batteria Militare Talmone
Concession by the Autonomous Region of Sardinia, 2002
The Batteria Militare Talmone is reachable only by a walk on a difficult path (30 minutes). The Barracks is open from April to September every day from 11am to 18pm.
In the rest of the year we accept reservations for groups.
Camouflaged in the thick Mediterranean maquis that thrives on the rocks and rugged terrain behind the coast, for two hundred years the Talmone Gun Battery has presided over the tract of sea that separates the island of Spargi from Sardinia. The numerous artillery guns jutting out from the underground terraces safeguarded with equal force the frontiers of the Kingdom of Sardinia and those of the Kingdom of Italy. Perfectly integrated into the landscape that contains and protects it, the Talmone Gun Battery lets us in on the exceptionally challenging daily life of the soldiers: the never-ending hours spent scrutinising the sea from the watchtower, the dormitories, the tracking station, the underground munitions depots and, last but by no means least, the implacable solitude. In 1947, shortly after the end of the Second World War, the Paris Peace Treaties required Italy to cease using all of its coastal military facilities: the Gun Battery was, then, abandoned to the ravages of time until, in 2002, the Autonomous Region of Sardinia entrusted the property to FAI on a concessionary basis, and it immediately underwent a painstaking process of conservative restoration, befitting the extraordinary landscape of the Sardinian coast. The former barracks will house a “Marine Shelter”, which will play host to those participating in the volunteer camps organised by the Trust.